Monday, April 11, 2011

Lines


Last year my friend Bob shared a photo with me that he took of a country road that had such a sense of depth with the road and power lines receding in space. Using his photo last spring, I made a torn paper collage of altered versions of the photo (top) and thought it would be fun to print out those versions again, run them through my paper shredder and make a second collage with horizontal strips (bottom). I was interested to see what the horizontal strips did to the perspective of the road. My husband gave it "a big thumbs up". Let me know what you think.

4 comments:

  1. I love the shredding technique and used with receding lines (roads), I think you have a unique prize winning approach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the shredding technique... but the first one you did is also pretty cool. But I would vote for the shredded one if I had to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the input - I LOVE getting feedback. I showed both pieces to a friend last night and she thought the earlier torn collage had a dramatic, moody feel and the recent one had a peaceful, inviting feel. I found it very interesting to have used the same filtered versions of the photo and produced two different moods!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both versions are wonderful to me: the 1st for it's sort of eery feel...makes me think of looking through a broken windshield. It makes my imagination start churning... the 2nd because I LOVE using country roads & telephone poles in my own work, and you have created a lovely one here with those cooky-shaped poles. Your composition: putting the focus dead center with that main pole, and then letting the eye escape down the road w/the smaller ones...and then getting sent right back up to the front of the road... GOOD WORK, Lori!!!!!

    ReplyDelete