Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sketching


My friend Penny came over on Friday so I could show her my technique for doing collage. As she started making a "sketch" using color aid papers and fabric to be a study for an art quilt, I began gluing down leftover shredded paper to work on a few ideas.
I see with the top one that making a landscape with random pieces could easily happen... weaving or using vertical strips has possibilities... and abstract scenes can work, too. What feelings are evoked for you when you look at these sketches?

3 comments:

  1. Fun to see what your afternoon produced. The top one makes me think of ocean views, with pilings. I think the weaving on the left hand side works particularly well. The second study makes me think of spaceships drifting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how the second one can read as things in the air or on the water. I hadn't tried any verticals on the shredded pieces yet, so these exercises gave me new ideas to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not that excited about the abstraction but it is important to keep trying new approaches.

    ReplyDelete