Sunday, February 6, 2011

3rd in a series

After seeing the first two pieces in this series, friends asked how I kept the image together after the print went through the shredder... the answer is, I didn't! I took photos as I worked on the third one to show the process I've worked out. I started with a 12x12 cradled panel for this collage. I cropped a photo to that size and ran out three sets of prints: one without filtration, one with a "dry brush" Photoshop filter, and one with a "poster edges" filter (If you click on the image to enlarge it, you can see the different look each has.) I then printed the images in two sections on my color laser printer (the white lines show how I divided the 12" wide images for printing on my 8.5"x14" paper).
I put all of the top sections through the shredder and placed those in a pile on my drawing board and then shredded the three bottom sections and put those in another pile. I printed out a small photo of the scene to help me as I sorted and tried to assemble the image out of the quarter-inch wide strips.
As I adhered strips, I purposely did not line up the images exactly and would add sections straddling strips to further abstract the image. I varied the lengths of the strips as well.
I let the piece dry overnight and, in looking at it the next morning, decided to add a few more pieces to the bottom left to add a bit more interference.



4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Lori... that's great that you got in to another juried show. Some day I'm going to follow in your footsteps.

    Your process for the shredder art is really cool. I love the effect you get with it. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as you know, we really like the shredder work. Also liked the tutorial on assembling the shredded pieces. Julie and I like the fact that you're taking new directions, always interesting. But man I love those Hoodoos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love shredded work. I dare you next to cut each shredded piece into many small rectangles. Double dog dare you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Professor, you KNOW how I respond to double dog dares... but that would be a LOT of tiny pieces sticking to me and everything else...I'll contemplate....

    ReplyDelete