Sunday, December 13, 2009

New frame technique



At an art auction last month, I saw a work where the artist had made his own cradle board and had made it purposely rough and crude - including finger prints and paint slopped on the sides. I liked the "honesty" of the obviously handmade frame and how it worked with his mixed media art. So, we decided to make a couple 12" x 12" frames to try it out. I applied canvas to the surface and made these two collages of animals whose photos we took in Wyoming. Let me know – by posting or sending an e-mail – what you think of the art and our construction (you can see it better by clicking on the images to enlarge).

4 comments:

  1. I like this frame technique, and I also really like when the paper wraps around the frame. I can imagine that some subjects would be more appropriate for one treatment than the other. These explicitly "outdoors" type scenes seem a good choice for the exposed frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rustic frames! I do agree with Penny that it works better when you have a raw, natural collage to go with it. ~Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always looking for ways to deal with the expense of framing. I agree with Penny and Tracy, this rustic treatment looks great with the natural outdoor compositions. I love how you experiment and push towards new ideas, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's cool but my favorite is still is when the image wraps around the frame.

    ReplyDelete